An interagency meeting was held between representatives from the following organisations:
- Department of Fisheries;
- Shire of Wyndham-East Kimberley,
- Water Corporation;
- Recfishwest; and,
- Kimberley Development Commission.
The meeting resolved the following as its key findings:
- The principle issue is the development/enhancement of a recreational barramundi in Lake Kununurra;
- A fish way option holds the most promise. Experts with extensive experience in fishways should be consulted to gather further insight and advice on options; and,
- A successful project will be as much about the management of people as the fishery itself. Issues that need to be addressed will include: possible changes to bag and size limits; fishing permits and other funding options; consideration of wilderness values and competing resource users.
The meeting proposed the following steps in order to progress the project:
- Feasibility study on migratory corridors/fish-ways, must address the crocodile issue;
- Promote the concept to facilitate community stewardship;
- Develop detailed operational plan; and,
- Secure political support and capital works funding.